The annual migration of snowbirds to our beautiful, warm, sunny climate has begun! We’d like to take a moment to welcome all of our lovely visitors to our area! St. Augustine offers a thriving assortment of activities full of adventure for you to choose from. The holiday season offers many joyous celebrations around our area. However, once the holidays are over, the adventures continue! Take a look at this list of things to do:
- Historical downtown: Historic downtown St. Augustine is a bustling area presenting tons of activity. During the day you will see the streets filled with shoppers and restaurants with amazing cuisine and enticing atmosphere. Trolleys cruise the streets providing informative and entertaining narrative tours of the historical architecture and monuments throughout the area. The evenings boast a wealth of hopping nightlife and live entertainment.
- Museums: There are so many to choose from! Historical monuments, forts, wax museums, and even showcases of medieval torture. The options are wide and varied, with a little something for everyone. One of our favorites is Flagler College. This facility gives a fascinating, historical tour of the former Hotel Ponce de Leon, built by Henry Flagler in 1887. The college is now home to hundreds of thriving students. Another must-see attraction is the oldest wooden schoolhouse, dating back to the 18th century.
- Trolleys and trains: These informative and narrative tours of the city provide information and transportation to the best destinations in town! With several designated hop-on and off stops, you can travel throughout the city and experience the best sightseeing spots and scenery St. Augustine has to offer.
- St. Augustine Alligator Farm and Zoological Park: Enjoy our milder climate by spending a day outside experiencing the wildlife at this amazing alligator farm.
- Scenic Boat Cruises: For a different perspective of St. Augustine, go for a ride on one of the many boats offering tours from the water. Enjoy a sunset cruise, a dolphin feeding tour, or even a pirate ship excursion!
- Fort Mose Historic State Park: When it’s time to spend a day in the sunshine, Fort Mose is a 40-acre waterfront park with picnic areas, boardwalk, kayak launch, a visitor center and an interactive museum.
- Fountain of Youth: No trip to St. Augustine is complete without a visit to this pet-friendly attraction. This fascinating and entertaining tour of Ponce de Leon’s Fountain of Youth will introduce you to the original site of St. Augustine, our Nation’s oldest city. You’ll even see the spring that has been claimed to be the fountain that provides restoring youth. There is so much to see and do here, you’ll want to spend the entire day.
- Whetstone Chocolates Tasting Tour: For a decadent change of pace, get introduced to the history and chocolate making through the Whetstone tour. Enjoy freshly made chocolate confections as you tour the facility. Yum!
There’s so much more to enjoy in St. Augustine! We hope these ideas get you started on your journey. We’re so glad to have you here with us at Beacher’s Lodge. Thank you for choosing St. Augustine as your winter getaway!